Can CBD Help Me Sleep Better?
Can CBD Help Me Sleep Better?
All of us are aware of how important sleep is. This drastically affects the quality of our lives which is why we need to get enough of it every night (or day, depending on your schedule). There are pain medications that can be bought over the counter nowadays (Nyquil, Benadryl Etc), but they’re not really advisable since they are made from man-made chemicals and can destroy or permanently harm your liver after prolonged use. It can be a huge risk as well because of the side effects it may give like dizziness, diarrhea, constipation, dry mouth and throat, and a lot more. Some sleeping pills are also addictive and are only short-term solutions. Thankfully, there are organic solutions out there that are safe and effective - namely CBD or Cannabidiol. This remedy is the non-psychoactive property that is derived from the cannabis plant.
What exactly is CBD or Cannabidiol?
People have been making use of cannabis for a very long time now – at least for 10,000 years. It is used either for industrial purposes (rope, clothing, fiber) medicinal purposes (reducing pain, inflammation, sleeping aid) or in some cases recreational purposes (getting high). It is proven that cannabis has a lot of health benefits, but its mind-altering effects caused by the property THC or Tetrahydrocannabinol (you know, the one that makes you high) makes it a taboo in some parts of the world.
Stirling CBD, however, is obtained through extraction from hemp (not the marijuana plant), which is a sub-species of the Cannabis Plant Family. CBD is an active ingredient that has a lot of health benefits without causing its users to get “high” or “stoned” which makes it legal in the States. It is very safe to consume and also not addictive. CBD’s popularity has skyrocketed because of its therapeutic claims.
What Happens When You Don’t Get Enough Sleep?
It is known that we adults need at least 7 hours of sleep at night, but most of us get way less. This may be due to sleeping problems like insomnia, pain, or anxiety, or just working hard. The number of people suffering from insomnia is higher than ever. This has been a typical problem in our society nowadays because of the massive growth of modern technology. Although occasional lack of sleep can be normal and not that serious, there is a lot at risk on your health when you don’t get enough of it on a regular basis.
Here are some of the negative effects of sleep deprivation:
- You get sick easier since your immune system lowers when you don’t get enough sleep. You’ll get the common cold more often or taking a lot longer to get better when you’re sick.
- An increase in appetite and higher tendencies of craving for high-carbohydrate and high-fat foods.
- The odds of having a stroke or developing other heart diseases will grow as sleep is necessary for you to maintain your blood pressure and for your heart vessels to rebuild.
- Your reflexes or reaction time will slow down. You will be less alert which is why lack of sleep has been linked to being one of the top causes of driving accidents. This risk can not only affect us but also the people around us as well.
- Chances of getting a skin breakout are higher and you can develop other skin problems such as fine lines, dark circles under the eyes, and puffy eyes.
- You will feel exhausted and will lack energy
- There’s a tendency that you will be slow and forgetful as sleep deprivation tarnishes our cognitive processes.
- It can affect your mood throughout the day because people who lack sleep tend to be cranky
- Loss of libido especially for men. This is mostly due to the lack of energy of not getting enough rest.
- Can contribute to the symptoms of depression. Insomnia and depression are often linked together as people with insomnia can develop depression and vice versa.
CBD for Sleep
People have been using cannabis for its calming effects that help them sleep easier, longer, and better overall. Like what was discussed earlier, taking cannabis by itself can have other unwanted effects like the feeling of getting high. By just extracting CBD from cannabis, you will get almost the same effects but it won’t get you high. A number of people have tried and testified that CBD does work.
Many studies, including one in the U.S. National Library of Health, show CBD can directly cure sleeping problems by having therapeutic potential for the treatment of insomnia. Other studies site is CBD should be regarded as more of a “sleeping aid” rather than a definite treatment as it eases anxiety, which is one of the most common causes of insomnia. Another thing that CBD reduces is pain and inflammation, which is also associated with people have difficulty sleeping at night. By alleviating these conditions, you will definitely have a better sleep.
Other Health Benefits You Can Get From CBD Oil
It has been mentioned a number of times here that CBD has a number of health benefits, so what exactly are they? Aside from helping you fall asleep easier, here are some other conditions CBD can help with:
- Can relieve pain and inflammation from arthritis, joint and muscle, injury, and menstrual cramps
- Lessen anxiety and depression
- Relieves nausea
- High blood pressure
- Stimulate appetite
- Helps reduce acne and give a clearer skin
- Lots of other good things found in U.S. Patent #6630507